“If you can’t beat them… join them”.
This famous business proverb describes succinctly how Europe and the West in general could be looking at Chinese companies’ developed appetite for foreign markets.
Nowadays, not a week goes by where we do not hear about new Chinese acquisitions (from 100% to relevant stakes) of European or US companies, mainly in the high-tech sector.
This is why our colleague Paolo Cervini’s research into this space proves to be so timely. Together with ECSI Faculty Partner Professor Mark Greeven from Zhejiang University, Paolo conducted in-depth research with these key findings:
- Even if not very visible yet, several Chinese digital players are aggressively targeting Europe
- Chinese companies no longer compete on cost, but on technology;
- They are global best practices in Omni-channel, Social Media, Mobile-based services, Fintech;
- Their strategic and corporate model (building connected digital ecosystems) is the winning one and it is spreading beyond Tencent, Alibaba, Baidu and Xiaomi;
- European and US companies should define the best strategies to connect, partner or compete against them.
Read Paolo’s article at LSE Business Review
However, we’ve only published the tip of the iceberg in our online LSE article… (aren’t we sneaky).
There is much more to know about this subject which we’re happy to share with you in a document or over coffee in Milan, London, Munich or Boston?